This dish is suuuuuper easy. Take all the dry ingredients and put them all in a ziplock bag and give it a shake. Add in the fish and shake it.
When you cook up your fish make sure to give enough room between the filets so they can properly fry. This is a versatile cooking technique that works for lots of different fish and can lean into different cuisines, depending on the spices you select. The spices outlined below are perfect for serving the fish in a fresh tortilla with a big squeeze of lime.
- 1 pound sustainably farmed tilapia
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon ground garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground onion
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder
- Grapeseed oil for pan (or whatever high heat oil you have)
- Place all dry ingredients in ziplock bag
- Shake ingredients to combine
- Add fish into ziplock and shake the hell out of it (after you zip the bag)
- Heat pan over medium-high heat
- Cover bottom of pan with oil (approximately 3-4 tablespoons depending on your pan)
- Once the pan is sizzlin’ hot add in the fish
- Cook until both sides are golden brown (about 3 minutes per side)
Use this fish for my California Crispy Fish Tacos!