Vanilla beans are ridiculously expensive but the flavor they give any baked good, or dessert in general, is unbelievable. It's worth splurging on them every once in a while to get that wonderfully speckled vanilla ice cream or vanilla bean cake.
- Use your knife to gently cut through one side of the pod from top to bottom
- Open up the pod and use the back of the knife to scrape out the seeds
- Scrape the pod a few times turning the bean to access different nooks and crannies
- Add the seeds to your baked good
- If you like, you can use the leftover pod to flavor milk or sugar . . . or something else