Originally I made this recipe for Passover since it's sans dairy and made with almond flour, but I've had so many people enjoy making it year round that I've decided to let it break free from the chains of Holiday oppression. From now on, it's just called a Chocolate Chip Sprinkle Party and you can eat it whenever. you. like!
I usually finish the cake with whatever kind of vanilla frosting I have the ingredients for (a.k.a a little powdered sugar, vanilla and water) and toss some additional sprinkles around the edges of the cake.
- 5 eggs (separated)
- 1 cup cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups almond flour (also called almond meal)
- 1/8th teaspoon salt
- 1/4th cup chocolate chips (preferably mini)
- 1/4th cup rainbow sprinkles (plus extra for the top)
- frosting ingredients
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Separate the eggs
- Whisk the egg whites until they form stiff peaks
- Set aside the egg whites
- Beat together the egg yolks and the sugar until the color of the yolks turn pale yellow, about 2-3 minutes
- Add the vanilla
- Add in the almond flour and salt
- Slowly fold in the egg whites until the batter is uniform (by folding the batter you avoid deflating the cake by un-whipping the egg whites)
- Lastly, fold in the chocolate chips and the sprinkles
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until fully cooked through (you can poke a toothpick through the cake, and if the stick is covered in any batter you know it isn't finished baking)